Sunday, July 6, 2014

BR: Under Different Stars, Amy A. Bartol

All she wants is a home, but can she find one...UNDER DIFFERENT STARS 

Kricket Hollowell is normally not one to wish upon stars; she believes they’re rarely in her favor. Well versed at dodging caseworkers from Chicago’s foster care system, the past few years on her own have made Kricket an expert at the art of survival and blending in. With her 18th birthday fast approaching, she dreams of the day when she can stop running and find what her heart needs most: a home. 

Trey Allairis hates Earth and doubts that anyone from his world can thrive here. What he’s learning of Kricket and her existence away from her true home only confirms his theory. But, when he and Kricket lie together under the stars of Ethar, counting them all may be easier than letting her go. 

Kyon Ensin’s secrets number the stars; he knows more about Kricket's gifts than anyone and plans to possess her because of them. He also knows she’s more valuable than any fire in the night sky. He’ll move the heavens and align them all in order to make her his own. 

When everything in their world can be broken, will Kricket rely upon love to save her under different stars?  -- Back cover synopsis



Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, it was good. And do you see that cover? GORGEOUS. 

It took me months of seeing Under Different Stars on my Recommended List to finally concede and read it, because I'm traditionally not a scifi girl. But am I ever glad I did! I'm starting to devour these YA scifi like they're going out of style. Which they're not. They're the hottest thing in YA right now, which is AWESOME.

So, yes, back to the book. I thought it was going to be some displaced alien story taking place in Chicago, but in fact, it was a displaced human story. For anyone who has read Amy A Bartol's Premonition series, you know that this woman comes up crazy plots that just keep surprising and drawing you in over and over. 

She's got some good stuff going on in her brain. 

The ONLY thing that bugged me? Kricket let her man physically carry her around a lot. I mean, I understand if you just fainted or are hurt, but it seemed like she was letting herself get tote around like a puppy. Which was weird, because she was a really independent character, that I liked a lot.

Otherwise, looooved. My newest guilty pleasure? I think so! Now we bite our nails and whine until the next book-- Sea of Stars-- comes about!

And don't even get me started on Iniquity. (WE'VE WAITED SO LONG...)

No comments:

Post a Comment