Thursday, September 23, 2010

BR: Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception


"Don’t you know what happens to clover hands who cannot control the fey?"

So, I read Maggie Stiefvater’s Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception again this week, and really, it just keeps getting better every time I read it.

(Yes, I’m going to rave about Maggie Stiefvater again.)

It took me a strangely long time to finish it--- I’ve found this happens with all of her works--- because the writing is so rich and poetic that you don’t want to take it in on just face value but simply drink it up. I just can’t get over the fact that Stiefvater can create such ridiculously rich and dazzling description and tie it into a brilliantly creative and vibrant story, creating this authentically incredible book.

(It’s been a year or two, but somehow I remember Ballad being just as potent and extraordinary.)

Maggie Stiefvater’s take on Faerie lore in Lament (and Ballad), is by far one of my all-time favorites depictions of the fascinating Celtic creatures and stories. And, of course, she is the queen of YA romance. Hands down.

Please, Mrs. Stiefvater, keep them coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment